Pizza and hummus become best buds in this incredibly delicious, bold-flavored dip. This stuff is amazing with a spoon, on chips, on toast or any other way you can think of. It is not only oil-free, making it healthier than most hummus recipes out there, it is wonderfully creamy and addictive.
Low-Fat Pizza Hummus [Vegan]
- 2 15 oz cans garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 1/4 cups tomato puree/sauce (mine only has added salt)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons runny tahini
- Optional toppings: olives, fresh basil, red pepper flakes
- Drain and rinse the beans and add them to a food processor. Process until they are basically broken up and mashed. Add the tomato puree only and blend again until really smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until completely smooth. Scrape the sides and let it go for several minutes. I let mine go for at least 5 minutes or longer until it was creamy dreamy smooth. That's the key to getting that silky smooth texture. The longer you blend, the smoother it will get. Taste and adjust any spices if needed.
- Place in a serving bowl and add optional toppings. This makes a beautiful display if serving at a party. I added olives, fresh basil and red pepper flakes to mine for a beautiful presentation.