This lobster mushroom bisque is creamy, dreamy, warm, and seafood-free amazingness! Creamy cashews and blended veggies create the richest, most decadent meal you'll ever dip a spoon into. If you've never tried Lobster mushrooms before, they are a sight to bold. When soaked, they turn such a beautiful bright color and are an amazing meaty texture that is perfect for the bisque.
Lobster Mushroom Bisque [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup cashews, raw (soaked for at least 3 hours)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon kelp powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups dried Lobster mushrooms (soaked)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- After soaking cashews for 3 hours or up to overnight, add them to a blender with 1 cup of vegetable broth, kelp powder, and cornstarch. Blend until smooth this will take a few minutes. Set aside. Start soaking the Lobster mushrooms, soak for a few minutes until they are soft.
- In a large soup pot, add olive oil and heat on medium. Add the shallot, garlic, celery, and carrot to the pot and cook for about 3 or 4 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the tomato paste and stir into the vegetables. Add the broth, wine, cashew cream mixture, softened mushrooms and all the seasonings. Bring to a soft boil, then reduce to low heat and cook for about 10 minutes to develop flavor and finish cooking everything.
- At this point you can purée some of the soup either with an immersion blender, or by putting about half the soup in the blender, puréeing, then returning to the pot. You don’t want to purée it all unless you don’t want any texture and want it completely creamy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and adjust flavoring as you need it. Serve immediately.