This lentil loaf is a hearty, wholesome, and healthy meal that is far better than any old meatloaf. The tomato glaze recipe is made with just 3 simple ingredients; ketchup, yellow mustard, and brown sugar. Even picky eaters will love this sauce on top of your lentil loaf!
Lentil Loaf With Tomato Glaze [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Loaf:
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Splash olive oil
- 1 cup rolled gluten-free oats
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chives
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Glaze:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium saucepan, cover lentils and bay leaf with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast pecans in a skillet over medium heat. Stir often and cook until browned and fragrant. Remove from skillet.
- In the skillet, combine diced onion, carrots, and garlic in a skillet with a splash of olive oil. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- Drain lentils and reserve 1/2 cup of cooked lentils. Place remaining lentils in a food processor with toasted pecans and sautéed veggies. Add remaining ingredients and pulse until the mixture is well combined. Be sure to stop processing before the mixture becomes a paste. Stir in reserved lentils.
- Prepare a 9x5-inch loaf pan by lining it with parchment paper. Press the loaf mixture into the pan.
- Mix together all ingredients for the glaze until smooth. Spread the glaze over the lentil loaf.
- Cover the loaf pan with aluminum foil and bake loaf in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 10 more minutes. Cut into slices and serve.