This easy to make pâté is a silky, meat-free version of the French classic. This dish will win over the hearts of both former and current traditional pâté lovers and those who find the original dish disappointing.
Lentil, Mushroom, and Walnut Pâté [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 cup French green lentils
- 1 medium turnip
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large leek, only white parts chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dry parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 6 ounces Portobello mushrooms, stem removed and sliced
- 1 1/4 cup of unsalted, roasted walnuts
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon agave
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons Cognac (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 and 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened soy milk
- Extra olive oil for brushing
- Wash the turnip and stick the cloves inside the turnip.
- In a large sauce pan, add the lentils and turnip and cover with water. Place on the stove on a high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium and let cook uncovered for 30-35 minutes. Once the lentils are cooled, remove from the heat and drain.
- On a medium heat, in a large skillet or pan, heat the olive oil and coconut oil. Add the leek and garlic and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Now add the dried herbs and cook for another minute.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook for another 8 minutes until they are soft and cooked through. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- In a food processor, add walnuts, lemon juice, agave, tamari, cognac, cayenne, salt, pepper, and the mushroom mixture. Process until smooth.
- Add the soy milk and process until silky.
- Transfer pâté to a container and brush the surface with olive oil. Refrigerate for a few hours until firm.