Lentil cauliflower vegan sloppy joes are just as tasty and a great way to sneak your vegetables in!
Lentil Cauliflower Sloppy Joes [Vegan]
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- splash olive oil
- 3/4 cup brown lentils
- 2-3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 3/4 can tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, vegan Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup, and yellow mustard, each
- 1 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoons bulgar
- 6 whole wheat buns
- In a medium dutch oven or similar sized pot, saute the onion in a splash of olive oil until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the lentils and cauliflower. In a blender pulse the dry lentils 3-4 times or until broken up.
- Rinse the pulsed lentils and set aside. Repeat with the cauliflower, pulsing in the blender until they are about the consistency of rice. Do this in batches if necessary.
- Add the lentils and cauliflower to the pot with the onions. Stir in tomato sauce through steak seasoning. Simmer partially covered for 20 minutes.
- Mix in bulgar and simmer for 10-15 more minutes stirring frequently to prevent sticking. When the sloppy joe mixture is done, it should be thick and starting to dry.
- Serve sloppy joes on whole wheat buns.