These Lemon Poppyseed Scones are everything you could ever want in a scone. The flavor is light for spring/summer and they look oh so pretty. Leaving scones in a circle shape is great because it’s 1) less work to form them and 2) they have more nooks and cranny’s for the glaze! Try them out — and then try not to eat them all at once.
Lemon Poppyseed Scones [Vegan]
For the Scones:
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of 3 lemons
- 2 -3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (solid)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
For the Glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- Make your glaze – combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and let sit (when you let it sit longer, the powdered sugar breaks down so you don’t get clumps!)
- In a small bowl, stir together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, lemon zest, and poppy seeds.
- Add in the coconut oil and “cut into the flour” using a fork (You’ll want something that looks like dry sand — not sticky)
- Mix in the milk mixture and canola oil. You want to mix until just combined. It’s ok if there are some clumps.
- Drop by the 1/4 cup onto a lightly greased baking sheet (or silicone mat). Don’t try to form them. The best thing about scones is the nooks and crannies!
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until slightly browned on the top and firm. Cool for about 5 minutes before icing
- Scoop one teaspoon at a time of the glaze and spoon over each scone. Go in order and keep doing this until all scones have a few layers of glaze. Let set completely.