These summery treats are a new take on lemon slices. While many vegan versions of the lemon slice use a combination of silken tofu and flour. While this recipe does use tofu, the condensed coconut milk gives them a dreamy cloud-like texture. The crumbly base, made from oats and dates, provides an amazing contrast to the lemony filling and the blueberry cream.
Lemon Custard Mousse Slice With Blueberry Cream [Vegan]
For the Base:
- 1/2 cup dates, soaked in water overnight
- 3/4 cup mixture of oats and coconut
- 1 tablespoons coconut butter, softened
- Salt, to taste
For the Custard Mousse Filling:
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed almond/coconut milk (recipe below) or 1/4 cup coconut cream with 1/8 cup coconut sugar
- 7 ounces firm silken tofu
- 1/8 cup coconut sugar
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice and zest of juiced lemons
- 2 tablespoons oat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- A dash of turmeric for color (see notes)
For the Blueberry Cream:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter
For the Sweetened Condensed Milk:
- 3 cups of soy, almond, or coconut milk
- 1/8 cup coconut sugar
- 3 dates
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
To Make the Base:
- Drain the dates and set aside the soaking liquid. Add the dates with the remaining base ingredients to a food processor and pulse until it forms a dough. Press mixture into the bottom of the baking tray and set aside.
To Make the Filling:
- Add all of the filling ingredients to the food processor and pulse until it is a smooth thick consistency. Pour into the baking tray.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until it starts to come away from the sides. If you poke a knife in the cooked slice, the knife is meant to be slightly wet. Remove and cool slice in the baking tray.
- For the icing: Drain the cashews. In a food processor, pulse all cream ingredients and reserved date liquid from making the crust, until very smooth. If it is too thin, add more cashews. If it is too thick, add some milk.
- Cut the slice and decorate with the cream as desired.
To Make the Sweetened Condensed Milk:
- Add all ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a boil for 3 minutes.
- Turn down the heat, simmer milk, and stir occasionally for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until it has thickened or reduced to 1/4 cup of milk.
- Use as required in above recipe
Note that the yellow turmeric color will become more intense when you bake it, so don't add too much.