Soft, fluffy, and nutty buckwheat muffins studded with gooey blueberries with a hint of lemon. These muffins are vegan, whole-grain, and contain simple ingredients.
Lemon Blueberry Buckwheat Muffins [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners.
- Combine flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flaxseed meal, peanut butter, non-dairy milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar. Add buckwheat flour, oats, lemon zest, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to combine until a smooth batter forms. Fold in blueberries.
- Fill each muffin liner 3/4 full. Top with a few more blueberries if desired. Bake for 25-30 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean (a few moist crumbs is ok). Allow cooling for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack. (Optional): Drizzle over a powdered sugar icing.