I really like things that taste like flowers. An elderflower Collins is my favorite drink, I love how Parma Violets taste like perfume and I would be perfectly happy to subsist on nothing but rose flavored macarons for a prolonged period of time. Thusly, this cake was born.
Lemon and Lavender Cake [Vegan]
1 8 inch sandwich cake
- 1½ cups of flour
- ¼ cup of corn flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup vegan margarine (room temperature)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ¼ cups soy yogurt
- 4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- zest of a lemon
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup vegan margarine
- ¼ cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- 1 cup icing sugar
- ½ tsp. dried lavender
- a few drops of purple food coloring (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup of icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Prepare 2 8-inch baking tins.
- Add the yogurt, lemon zest and lemon juice to a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat together the margarine and the sugar until fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Whisk the margarine and sugar together with the yogurt and lemon mixture.
- Sift in half the flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix until incorporated.
- Mix in the remaining flour. Pour half the mixture into each baking tin.
- Tap the filled baking tins a few times on your worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Place the tins in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Allow to cool fully before adding any icing.
- Add the sugar, shortening and margarine into a food processor along with the colouring and dried lavander.
- Blend everything together until incorporated, scraping down the sides every so often.
- In a small bowl mix together the glaze ingredients until everything is smooth. Make the glaze just before you need to pour it over the cake or otherwise it will start to solidify.
- Place the fully cooled cake on a serving platter and spread the surface of the bottom layer with the buttercream. Place the second layer on top. Prepare the glaze and pour over the whole cake. Decorate with sprinkles or some chopped dried lavender.