This is very tasty and easy to digest dish, excellent food choice when recovering from illness, for strength and general health. Kitchari is a wonderful choice whenever you need a lift or feel like nurturing yourself and friends.
- 1 cup white basmati rice brown rice or quinoa
- 1/2 cups yellow mung dal beans
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon each cumin seeds mustard seeds fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds
- 6 cups of water
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves optional
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt or sea salt
- pinch ground black pepper
- 2 –5 cups of chopped organic, seasonal vegetables such as spinach, carrots, green peas, celery, kale, and bok choy (avoid nightshades)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro optional
- Rinse the rice and the mung dal beans in a fine -mesh strainer until the water runs clear. Set aside.
- Melt the ghee or oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add all the seeds and stir and toast until the mustard seeds pop - about 1 minute. Add the rice and beans. Cook and stir for another minute. Add the water, ginger, cardamom pods, bay leaves, cloves, turmeric, salt and pepper, and chopped vegetables. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes or until the beans and rice are soft and the kitchari has a porridge-like consistency.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf, cardamom pods and cloves. Serve warm with fresh cilantro on top, if desired.