These Kimchi Potato Pancakes taste spicy and savory sweet. They are crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. Ready in less than 15 minutes, super delicious and vegan too!
Kimchi Potato Pancakes [Vegan]
- 6 1/3-ounces vegan kimchi squeezed
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped in half
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2-ounce bean sprouts chopped
- 1 tablespoon Korean red pepper paste (Gochujang)
- 4 tablespoons kimchi juice
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 red chili chopped (optional)
- 1/2 green chili, chopped (optional)
- Chop the kimchi into a bowl with scissors. Don’t use a chopping board as the kimchi juice will stain it and it is difficult to wash up later. It is much easier to use scissors.
- Add the sugar and sesame oil and mix them thoroughly. Leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Put the potatoes in a food processor and blend them up into very small pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, add the marinated kimchi, onion, bean sprouts, gochujang, and chopped up potatoes. Mix them well.
- Add half of the strong flour and give it a mix. Add the other half of the flour and mix them well. The mixture needs to be thick so that it sticks together in the pan. You can add more or less depending on the type of potatoes.
- Heat a frying pan over a high heat and add some vegetable oil. It takes less than 1 minute to fry these pancakes. Use a scoop or spoon to get a small amount of the mixture and put it in the frying pan. Shape the mixture into rough circles and flatten with a spatula. They should be about 5-inches in diameter and about 1/2-inch thick. Repeat this process until you use all the mixture.
- Turn the heat down to low. Press three of four slices of red and green chilies on top of each pancake to decorate. You can skip this step if you don’t want spicy chilies.
- Flip the pancakes when the bottom has browned. When both sides are cooked, take them out of the pan and put them on a plate on a piece of kitchen towel to drain some of the oil.
- Potato Recipes