These beautiful, buttery sugar cookies are sweet and tart — just like their namesake pie. Topped with a white glaze and sprinkled with sparkly sugar, they look like the perfect winter cookie. Fresh limes make all the difference in the world, so if you can use them, you absolutely must!
Key Lime Sparkle Cookies [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup vegan butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon key lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest (from about 2 limes)
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons key lime juice
- Sugar for garnish (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, powdered sugar, and cornstarch and mix together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the softened butter until creamy. Add about half of the flour mixture and mix in until just combined. Add the rest of the flour, the lime juice, and zest and mix until it forms a soft dough.
- Cut two large pieces of plastic wrap and lay them flat on a work surface. Divide the dough in half. Place one half in the center of one piece of plastic wrap. Fold the plastic wrap over on the dough and work the dough into a 10-inch log. Repeat with the second piece of dough. Seal them in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours. Remove the dough and make sure that the log is round, by rolling it on a flat surface. If you have one or more areas of the dough that have flattened out from resting, roll them a little more until they're round and refrigerate for an additional 10-20 minutes, until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- Use a very thin, sharp knife to slice the cookies into 1/4-inch slices. Place 1 inch apart on the cookie sheets and bake 9-11 minutes until edges are lightly browned. Cool for one minute on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix the powdered sugar, lime zest, and lime juice in a bowl and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- After the cookies have cooled, spoon a little of the glaze on top and smooth out with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle with the sparkling sugar and let stand until the glaze has hardened.