This kale salad is seriously craveable and one that the whole family will enjoy. The key to any good kale salad is to massage your leaves. This wilts the leaves, turning them vibrant green and making them much more enjoyable as a base for this wintery, slaw-style salad. Add some dried cranberries, fresh pomegranate, and crunchy slivered almonds for a festive side dish.
Kale, Pomegranate, and Almond Winter Salad [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Kale, Pomegranate, and Almond Winter Salad [Vegan]
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) orange juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2–1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Salad:
- 2 cups (4 big leaves) chopped lacinato kale
- 1 cup (100 g) shredded white cabbage
- 1 cup (100 g) shredded red cabbage
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (60 g) dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (50 g) pomegranate, plus extra for serving
- 2 satsumas, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup (40 g) slivered almonds, plus extra for serving
How to Prepare Kale, Pomegranate, and Almond Winter Salad [Vegan]
- To make the dressing: Add all of the ingredients to a jar and seal the lid. Shake well to emulsify the dressing. Alternatively, stir together in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make the salad: Add the kale to a large bowl with a pinch of salt. Massage with your hands for 1 minute to wilt the leaves. Stir in the white and red cabbage, and massage together with half of the dressing.
- Add the apple, dried cranberries, pomegranate, satsumas, and almonds to the salad with the rest of the dressing. Toss well.
- Serve topped with extra pomegranate and almonds. Enjoy right away or keep in a sealed container in the fridge for 2 to 3 days.
- This is a great salad to make for potlucks, picnics, and other gatherings. Or make it up and add it to a Nourish Bowl (page 94).
- To keep this salad nut-free, omit the almonds and swap for seeds such as sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.