This Jackfruit Stew with Chickpeas and Root Vegetables is so tasty and comforting! It will keep you warm and cozy all winter long. Plus, the leftovers are amazing when heated back up!
Jackfruit Stew with Chickpeas and Root Vegetables [Vegan]
- 2 cups Jackfruit diced
- 2 cups Canned chickpeas (rinsed)
- 2 Red bell peppers (cleaned and diced)
- 1 large Onion (diced)
- 6 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 4 Carrots (cleaned and cut to your desirable shapes)
- 2 Parsnips (cleaned and cut to your desirable shapes)
- 4 medium size Potatoes (cleaned and cubed)
- 2 tablespoons Low sodium Tamari
- 2 tablespoons Cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons Garlic powder
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons Red paprika powder
- 1 tablespoon Organic yellow mustard (or mustard of your choice)
- Black pepper to taste
- Red chilli pepper flakes to taste
- 2 tablespoons Dry Marjoram (optional)
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons Grape seed oil (or oil of your choice)
- 2 cups Organic low sodium vegetable broth (you may add more if needed)
- Rinse the jackfruit well under and cut into equal pieces.
- In large pot, bring veggie broth to boil and add root veggies (carrot, parsnip & potatoes). Add salt with pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil again. Reduce the heat and let it simmer under the lid for 30 to 40min.
- In the meantime, sauté onion on heated oil for few seconds, add garlic sauté until translucent.
- Add cumin powder and stir thoroughly, add red paprika powder, red chili pepper flakes and stir again. Add bell pepper, stir thoroughly, reduce the heat and cover with lid. Let simmer for 5 min.
- When ready, add jackfruit with tamari, mustard and marjoram and stir thoroughly. You may turn the heat higher for a minute or two while stirring.
- Reduce the heat, cover with lid and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- When ready, mix the jackfruit blend with root vegetables in the pot and add chickpeas.
- Stir thoroughly and adjust the flavour if needed.