These fluffy butternut squash muffins are gluten-free, but you would never know it! They're made from a blend of buckwheat groats blended with oat bran. Then, grated butternut squash (grating the squash prevents them from being too moist) is folded in, along with warm fall spices. Yum!
Jack o’ Lantern Butternut Squash Muffins [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup, plus 3 tablespoons raw buckwheat, soaked
- 1 1/3 cups oat bran
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 cup, plus 3 tablespoons oat or rice milk
- 1/3 teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons, plus 2 teaspoons of xylitol or 6 Medjool dates (stone removed)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 3 teaspoons of aluminum-free baking powder
- 2 packed cups finely grated raw butternut squash
- Finely chopped dark chocolate or cacao mass for garnish
- Soak buckwheat groats overnight, then rinse and drain.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grate the butternut squash finely.
- Put all ingredients, except squash, poppy seeds, baking powder, and chocolate into blender, and blend until smooth and homogeneous batter forms.
- Blend in the baking powder.
- Finally mix in poppy seeds and grated squash.
- Divide the batter between 12 muffin forms.
- Bake in the middle rack for 35 minutes. Remove from oven, drizzle some dark chocolate on top, and let cool.