A lesser known bean variety, yellow Italian flat beans, also known as wax beans, are a must on your grocery list. In this recipe, olive oil, garlic, and fresh heirloom tomatoes are the simplest of flavors, yet they enhance the tender cooked beans in a way that tastes like magic. Serve this as a side to roasted cauliflower or a meaty grain-based loaf.
Italian Yellow Flat Beans With Olive Oil, Garlic, and Tomatoes [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Italian Yellow Flat Beans With Olive Oil, Garlic, and Tomatoes [Vegan]
- 1 pound Italian flat yellow beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 fresh red shallot, or a small new white onion, chopped
- 2 closes garlic, minced
- A few sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 6-ounce carton cherry or heirloom tomatoes, halved
How to Prepare Italian Yellow Flat Beans With Olive Oil, Garlic, and Tomatoes [Vegan]
- Trim the beans as necessary and drop them into a pot full of boiling salted water.
- Cook until the beans are crisp and tender, then remove and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet.
- Add the chopped shallot or onion and cook over medium heat until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes and continue to cook until the tomatoes soften.
- Add the cooked, drained beans and heat them up in the skillet, mixing with a wooden spoon to coat them with the aromatics. You can add a little olive oil, if necessary.
- When the beans are warmed up, remove from heat and serve warm.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.