This meal is full of spice and delicious flavors. If you haven't tried jackfruit yet, you need to! The meat-like texture provides heartiness to plant-based dishes like these.
Instant Pot Jackfruit with Chana Dal [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Instant Pot Jackfruit with Chana Dal [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup split chickpeas/chana dal
- 4 green cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 2 black cardamoms
- 7-8 black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons oil of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2-inch piece cinnamon stick
- 2 dried red chilies
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 20-ounce can jackfruit, drained, rinsed and diced
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, optional
- 3/4 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Cilantro, for garnish
How to Prepare Instant Pot Jackfruit with Chana Dal [Vegan]
- Rinse and soak the chana dal in 1 cup of water for 40 minutes. Lightly crush the green cardamoms, cloves, black cardamoms and black peppercorns using a mortar and pestle and set aside. Drain the dal and transfer it to another bowl.
- Press the sauté button. When the pot displays hot, add the oil and then add the cumin seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, crushed spices (cardamoms/cloves/peppercorns) along with the dried red chilies.
- Sauté for a few seconds until the spices are fragrant and then add the chopped garlic. Cook for 1 minute or until the garlic starts turning light golden brown in color and then add in the tomato.
- Cook the tomato for 2 minutes and then add the chana dal, jackfruit, coriander powder, turmeric powder (if using) and salt and mix to combine. Cook for 1 minute and then add the water. Close the pot with its lid and set the pressure valve to the sealing position.
- Press the manual or pressure-cook button and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the pot and press the sauté button. If you want to get rid of a little of the water that’s in the pot, let it simmer for 2 minutes on sauté. This is optional; if you want a little liquid in your dish, you may skip this step.
- Stir in the lemon juice, garnish with cilantro and serve.
If you don't have the whole spices, add 1/2 teaspoon of garam masala instead.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.