A simple and colorful stir-fry of asparagus and carrots, with fresh coconut and South Indian spices.
Indian Asparagus and Carrot Stir-Fry [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon asafetida
- 3/4 teaspoon Bengal Gram Lentils (channa dal)
- 3/4 teaspoon white split lentils (urad dal)
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 to 2 dried red chilies
- 2 cups chopped asparagus (about 1 pound of asparagus, chopped and tough ends discarded)
- 3 medium sized carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of red cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated coconut
- Optional chopped cilantro to garnish
- Heat the oil for about a minute on medium low heat, and add in the mustard seeds and wait until they pop! Add in the cumin seeds and the asafetida, followed by the Bengal Gram lentils and white split lentils and curry leaves. All of this is done is quick succession so it is a good idea to keep them organized.
- Lightly crush the red chilies and mix in with the asparagus and the carrots and salt and red cayenne pepper and stir well. Cover and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Remove the cover and mix the vegetables well. Stir in the grated coconut and the cilantro (if using) and stir well. Serve hot with other things or at room temp.