This creamy dill potato salad is totally vegan, although no one would be able to guess that. The rich, flavorful cashew dressing is perfect with new potatoes, greens, celery, and red onions. Enjoy this easy recipe at your next get-together with friends or family. Don't worry too much about using exact measurements or precise chopping. Just throw all the ingredients together, and taste, and adjust accordingly.
Potato Salad [Vegan]
- 3 lbs small white potatoes
- Large pinch of salt
- Handful of greens of your choice
- 1 cup cup cashews
- 1/4 cup water
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the potatoes and salt in a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are just tender. Drain the potatoes in a colander and then place them back in the empty pot. Cover with a lid and let the potatoes steam for 15-20 minutes. Throw in the greens of your choice after about ten minutes, and let them wilt.
- Meanwhile, combine cashews, nutmeg and water together in a high speed blender or small food processor and process until smooth. Start with a little bit of water and add until you have about a cup of the mixture, slightly thicker than mayo.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cashew mixture, almond milk, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, the two mustards, the dill, the garlic, and the salt and the pepper.
- When the potatoes are just cool enough to handle, cut them in quarters and place in a large bowl. Pour enough of the dressing over them just to moisten. Add the celery, and red onion, and greens and toss well. Add more dressing if necessary. Serve cold or at room temperature.
- Potato Recipes