Idli Podi is a pretty standard accompaniment to most South Indian breakfasts, especially with idly and dosa as a dipping condiment — and curiously, it’s great on toast, too! It is a simple combination of roasted lentils and chilis, ground to a coarse powder, and mixed with sesame oil before eating. The crunch and heat really do wake you up!
Idli Podi: Indian Spicy Lentil Condiment [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup black lentils
- 1/4 cup green lentils
- 1/4 cup chana dal (dry split chickpeas)
- 4-6 long dry red chilis
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida powder, garlic powder, or onion powder
- 1 tablespoon black or white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons curry leaves (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Over low-medium heat, roast each of the lentils separately in a few drops of oil until the lentils turn light brown and become fragrant.
- Roast sesame seeds without oil until slightly browned.
- Add long red chilis and curry leaves in what oil remains in the pan until the chilis are browned and curry leaves dark green and crisp.
- Add salt and asafoetida on the warm ingredients. Let everything cool completely.
- Grind all the ingredients in pulses until slightly coarse.
- Spread out on a plate to dry and cool. Store in an air-tight container for a month.
Yields 1 cup.