I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that most of you have never milked an almond. It’s pretty out there, even for me (but I grew up in a teepee so I don’t know why I just said that). I’ve heard of people doing it but I always thought these people to be way cooler than me (and for some reason skinny, tanned, and wearing a perpetual sarong, even in winter). The good people making their own nut milk for sure have a copy of “Wild Fermentation” sitting on their kitchen table, at least two dream catchers in their house, a bottle of homemade hooch under their kitchen sink (you guys, I don’t know why it’s under their sink), and definitely only drink from Mason Jars. My nut milk makers are most probably named Stella, Lux, and Vita, and for some reason, the Velvet Underground is playing in the background and they are all holding hands. Well playas, I’m here to tell you that normal people can make Almond Milk. And frankly, it is absolutely delicious. Here is my basic recipe. Try it. It’s not scary, I promise.
So There Are No Almonds in Almond Milk? Here’s How to Make the Real Deal
- 1 cup raw almonds, soaked in water for 4 hours up to overnight
- 4 cups of water
- 3-6 dates, soaked in water for an hour (use 6 if you like it on the sweet side)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- You soak the almonds for at least 4 hours and then drain them.
- You put the almonds in your blender (it doesn’t have to be a fancy pants blender. Mine is from the 70’s and I’m pretty sure it’s going to out-live me) along with the water, dates, vanilla and salt.
- Blend, blend, blend until all of the almonds are blended (this will take only about 1 minute)
- Put a bowl under either a strainer, a nut milk bag (you can for sure find this at Whole Foods) or regular old cheese cloth (but make sure the cloth isn’t actually old and gross)
- Pour the mixture into the sieve-like accessory that you chose and drain the milk into the bowl.
- You may have to press a spoon into the mixture or use your hands and squeeze out the milk (yes, like milking a cow’s tit but way less gross. Why are people still drinking milk from an actual cow? You guys, it’s gross) so that all of the liquid is extracted.
- Drink within 3-4 days
- Nut-based Milk
Amazing information and this is really wonderful site.