This sauce is a universal crowd pleaser, with few ingredients (and easy to find ones at that), you simply set it on the stove and let it simmer away until serving. Earthy and hearty this is a go-to sauce for spaghetti, as a filling for vegan lasagna, or spooned over steamed veggies. The walnuts give a significant boost of healthy fats, oils and protein, while lending a “meatiness” and flavor that is unsurpassed. This recipe makes quite a large batch, so feel free to half it or freeze some for a later date.
Homestyle ‘Meaty’ Tomato Sauce With Lentils and Walnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can of tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar (optional)
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- 2 tablespoons oregano (fresh or dried)
- 1 tablespoon medium-high heat oil (canola, avocado, grape seed, etc)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a very deep skillet, or medium pot on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water, lentils, and brown sugar and stir well. Let simmer, covered, for 30-40 minutes, until lentils are tender but still hold their shape.
- Add crushed walnuts, salt, pepper, and oregano and stir well. Serve over pasta of choice, or use as a sauce filling in your next vegetable lasagna.
- Green Lentil
- Italian Sauce Recipes
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile