When your stomach is demanding a quick and light food item, red pepper hummus may be the first thing that will come to your mind. This is one of the easiest and fastest dishes that you can prepare. Remember, every dish can be made more interesting than the next with some extra flavoring and a little bit of thinking out of the box. First, collect the following things you need to support the preparation of the dish. Baking sheet Colander Food processor Spatula Measuring cups and Spoons This recipe takes just 20 minutes to get ready, so get set and start collecting the following ingredients.
Hummus With Red Peppers [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup fresh roasted and chopped red bell peppers
- 2 3/5 cups chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 minced garlic clove
- Olive oil, for cooking and spreading over the dish
- Around 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt, to taste
To Roast the Peppers:
- Use an oven broiler to roast the red peppers. Once you have roasted them properly, remove the cooked black core from the peppers.
- Now, cut the peppers with a knife into flat pieces and arrange them onto the baking sheet with the skin side up.
- Now they are ready to be broiled which is done for 5 to 10 minutes till you see they are changing color.
- Place the peppers in a re-sealable plastic bag and let them cool for 10 to 15 minutes or you can also place the cooked peppers in a bowl covering them with a plastic sheet.
- After they have cooled, just gently peel the cover of the peppers and finely chop them. You can save some pepper pieces to be used for garnishing the dish. You can prepare your peppers in advance and keep them ready in the fridge too.
To Prepare Hummus:
- Combine the tahini and the fresh lemon juice in a food processor for about 1 minute.
- Now add the add olive oil, garlic, cumin seeds, pepper and lemon to it and follow the same process above for about 1 more minute.
- Follow the procedure with preparing the chickpeas or garbanzo beans by opening the can and draining it from the water in the colander and rinsing properly with fresh water.
- Take the cleaned chickpeas and blend them in the food processor with the mixture you prepared previously for 1 minute. Make the mixture thick and smooth.
- It’s time to add the pepper to the hummus. Combine in the blender till the mix gets smooth. You can also add some water to remove the lumps.
- Now chop the saved cooked pepper to garnish the dish. Pour the prepared mixture into serving bowl and garnish it with the peppers on top.