Making your own alternative milks at home is easy and really rewarding. Golden flax seeds are used in this recipe because they are thought to have a milder flavor, but brown flax seeds would work just fine too. The dates and vanilla add a lovely sweetness.
Homemade Flax Milk [Vegan]
- 6 cups filtered water
- 1/4 cup golden flax seeds
- 4 dates, pitted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Add water and flax seeds to a high speed blender. Blend on high for 1 minute.
- Strain flax milk through a nut milk bag into a bowl, or through a colander lined with cheesecloth folded over a couple of times. It is helpful to use tongs or your hands to squeeze and coax the flax milk through the bag. (*Tip – If the bag becomes overly clogged and is not straining, simply pour the remaining flax milk back into the blender, rinse nut milk bag off to essentially unclog it, and pour the remaining milk through the bag again.)
- Rinse flax seed pieces out of the blender, and add the strained flax milk back into the blender along with the pitted dates, pure vanilla extract, and cinnamon if using.
- Blend on high for 1 minute.
- Skim layer of foam off the top of the flax milk.
- Store in the refrigerator, and stir or shake before serving.