These flavorful cookies layer shortbread, caramel-coated coconut, and vegan chocolate for a delicious homemade treat!
Homemade Caramel Delites [Vegan and Gluten Free]
For the Shortbread:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Coconut Caramel Layer:
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Chocolate:
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 250°F and line a baking sheet with some parchment paper. In a large bowl, sift in your almond flour, coconut flour, and salt, and whisk to combine.
- Add in the maple syrup, vanilla, and coconut oil (make sure your coconut oil is mostly solid, liquid coconut oil will not work as well). Use your hands to combine it all together until it forms a dough-like consistency.
- Dust a rolling mat with some extra coconut flour and start rolling out your dough until about 1/4 inch thick. Use a circular cookie cutter to cut out a circle, and transfer it to the parchment paper. Once it's on the parchment paper, use a small cookie cutter or a metal piping tip to punch out a hole in the center, so that it looks like a donut. Repeat for the remaining cookies, continuing to dust with coconut flour as you go.
- Bake the cookies for 25 minutes until golden brown on the edges and let cool before transferring to a plate.
- In a separate, microwave-safe bowl, add your chocolate chips and coconut oil and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes until melted.
- Dip the bottom of each cookie into the melted chocolate, then place on parchment paper to cool.
- While chocolate is cooling, add the plain unsweetened coconut over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Stir frequently for about 7-10 minutes until it turns brown.*
- Add the maple syrup, almond butter, vanilla, salt, and coconut oil to the saucepan with the toasted coconut and stir to combine. Turn the heat to medium-low and cover with a lid. Cook for 10-12 minutes until the caramel mixture is thickened. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Using your hands place the coconut on the top of the cooled shortbread cookies. Press the coconut onto the cookie, in an even layer. Repeat for all the cookies.
- Drizzle the remaining melted chocolate over top of the cookies. Let cool in the fridge or freezer until chocolate is hardened, and enjoy!