Loaded with beefy, savory, holiday goodness this seitan roast is boiled first and then baked to carmelize the outer layer and bring out the best it has to offer. Filled with holiday herbs and roasted with love this seitan is as prepared as easy as: mix, knead, boil, bake and serve! Perfect made the night before your holiday feast, or served hot from the oven.
Holiday Oven Roasted Seitan [Vegan]
10 slices, 5 servings
Ingredients You Need for Holiday Oven Roasted Seitan [Vegan]
- 1 cup of Vital Wheat Gluten
- 3 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme, or 1 spring fresh Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dried Rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Sage
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar free BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Aminos (or Soy Sauce)
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- + 4 cups of Vegetable Broth to simmer the Seitan in.
How to Prepare Holiday Oven Roasted Seitan [Vegan]
- Mix together your dry ingredients in one bowl and your wet ingredients in a second bowl.
- Combine the wet with the dry and knead into a “dough”.
- Knead this dough for about 5 minutes or until the gluten is activated.
- Bring about 4 cups of vegetable broth to a simmer on medium-high (just enough to fully submerge your seitan roast.
- Most recipes call for you to wrap your seitan in plastic wrap before simmering, but that’s only to keep the shape and we find that we like ours rustic and full of vegetable brothy flavour.
- Simply roll your seitan dough into a log and simmer in the covered pot of vegetable broth for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes preheat your oven to 350°F and bake the seitan on a baking tray for 20 minutes, flipping it after 10 minutes.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Seitan (Plant Protein)
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Per Serving: Calories: 135 | Carbs: 12 g | Fat: 0.5 g | Protein: 21 g | Sodium: 195 mg | Sugar: 3 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.