In this recipe, roasted red tomatoes and sautéed mushrooms are served with an herb-infused white sesame and potato curry. Using tomato paste instead of whole tomatoes adds both a tangy flavor and texture that's thicker than usual. Lastly, creamy coconut milk adds a smooth, silky taste. Serve this curry warm with steamed rice and a side of naan.
Herb-Infused White Sesame Curry With Red Potatoes and Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 2 cups baby red potatoes, sliced into halves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups white mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup red onions, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup white sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- Preheat oven at 375°F and prepare a cookie sheet with a greased liner.
- Place the sliced potatoes on the cookie sheet and put it in the middle rack of the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.
- In the meanwhile heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick pan and sauté mushrooms.
- If the mushrooms dry up, spray them with cooking spray. Cook them until they are golden brown in color.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, combine onion, tomato paste, ginger garlic paste, and sesame seeds into the food processor and grind until smooth.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, remove them from the heat, add them to a bowl, and add another 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the same pan.
- Add the thyme and cilantro to the warm oil.
- Immediately add the sesame seeds paste to it and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the paste starts sticking to the pan. Add water to it, mix very well and boil for a couple of minutes.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, and chili powder to the pan and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes again.
- Now add coconut milk and mix very well. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Lastly, fold in potatoes and mushrooms and gently mix. Cook for another couple of minutes.
- Turn off the flame and serve warm with steamed rice or naan.