The coconut almond truffles are healthy and indulgent. They have rich, creamy fudge center with a dark chocolate coating and sprinkled with toasted coconut and chopped almonds. They're like elevated truffles made from simple and healthy ingredients. These coconut almond truffles are amazing, but feel free to get creative with this recipe! Add different types of nuts, such as peanuts, or hazelnuts. Add in a spoonful of peanut butter into the filling, or even dried fruit.
Healthy Toasted Coconut Almond Truffles [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/4 cup and 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- Pinch flaky sea salt
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate (bar or chips)
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- Start by boiling some water. Add dates to a bowl and cover them with the boiling water. Let soak for 20 min. to soften. Drain, and transfer to a food processor along with coconut oil and maple syrup. Process until creamy and a thick paste forms.
- Add cacao powder, flour, and sea salt. Process into a thick and sticky dough. Refrigerate for 20 min. Taking 2 tbsp of dough at a time, roll into balls and transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet. Freeze for 30-45 min. to firm up.
- While balls are freezing, toast the coconut. In a small skillet over medium-low heat, add the coconut and constantly stir to evenly toast it. Once golden brown, transfer to a small bowl.
- In a pyrex measuring cup or microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in 30 sec. intervals. Whisk in the coconut oil, and set aside.
- Take the balls out of the freezer. Using a fork, carefully dunk one at a time into the melted chocolate to fully coat. Puncture one side of the truffle with a toothpick (like a cake pop) and use that to sprinkle on the coconut and chopped almonds all the way around the ball. You can hold the toothpick and truffle in either styrofoam or even a piece of fruit like an apple (place in a cup to stabilize it).
- Once all truffles are coated in chocolate, coconut, and almonds transfer to the freezer to firm up for an additional 20 min. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.