If you've never had a blackcurrant before, they have such an interesting flavor that somewhat reminds me of blueberries but is a bit more on the tart side. On top of that, these little blackberries are incredibly good for you, packing an insane amount of vitamin C as well as lots of iron and potassium. The addition of chia seeds gives the jam a strong dose of fiber. Despite the almost instant preparation of this healthy jam, it is incredibly flavorful combining the sweetness and tanginess with a delicate lemony flavor and a bit of caramel sweetness and vanilla. It's a perfect topping for whole grain bread, your favorite yogurt, or even pancakes or crepes.
Healthy Blackcurrant Jam [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cup blackcurrants (use blueberries or huckleberries if you can’t find black currants)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2-4 tablespoons maple syrup or raw agave (depends on your sweet tooth and the ripeness of the currants)
- Peel of 1 organic lemon (you can omit this, but it adds a delicious lemony touch to the jam)
- 1/2 teaspoon all-natural vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or a high-powered blender and blend away until thoroughly mixed and the consistency resembles that of runny jam.
- Taste and adjust sweetness if desired.
- Let thicken for about 10 minutes or enjoy as is if you prefer the runnier consistency!