If you’re looking for a burger concept that’s going to sweep people right off their feet, this Hawaiian teriyaki chickpea burger is everything you need! The patties are made from chickpeas, sweet potato, panko, and oats. They're cooked in homemade teriyaki sauce, giving them the opportunity to absorb the flavor. They're then dressed with teriyaki-grilled pineapples, jalapeño coleslaw, and creamy avocado. You get multiple textures, sweet, savory, spicy, and aesthetically the colors are varied and bright.
Hawaiian Teriyaki Chickpea Burger [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Hawaiian Teriyaki Chickpea Burger [Vegan]
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger, very fine
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4-8 pineapple rings
For the Burgers:
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 cup oats, processed to flour
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax meal, plus 3 tablespoons water per "egg")
- 1 cup panko
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
For the Coleslaw:
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 cups shredded white cabbage
- 3 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 squeeze of lime
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- For the Toppings:
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 avocados
How to Prepare Hawaiian Teriyaki Chickpea Burger [Vegan]
To Make the Sauce:
- Combine the cornstarch in cold water and dissolve. Set aside to thicken.
- In a small saucepan, mix tamari, pineapple juice, coconut sugar, Sriracha, red pepper, grated ginger, and garlic over medium heat. Bring to a boil and simmer until sauce reduces, about 15-20 minutes.
- Add cornstarch and water mixture, simmer until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
To Make the Burgers:
- Pulse the oats in the food processor until a fine flour. Combine in a large bowl with all the ingredients. As you combine, mash all the chickpeas, but leave some chunky for visual appearance.
- Cook the patties in a large pan over medium-high heat with 1/3 cup of the sauce added. Coat evenly and cook each for 5-7 minutes, until cooked all the way through. Add a drizzle of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Add the pineapple rings to the pan as you cook and coat them in the sauce. Cook 3-5 minutes.
To Make the Coleslaw:
- Throw everything together in a bowl and combine.
- Top the burgers with jalapeño, pineapple cole slaw, and avocado. Top with additional sauce if desired
The teriyaki sauce can be made several days in advance and refrigerated. Just reheat before spooning onto the burgers. Use fresh pineapple if you can, but canned may be substituted.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.