The cashews add some creaminess so you can do without dairy cream. The ginger gives this soup a little bit of a kick which is perfect when you need a warming meal. This vegan Carrot & Cashew Soup is a warming blend of carrot, apple, curry, cashews, and ginger. Smooth and velvety, it is delicious with some crusty gluten-free bread.
Harvest Cashew Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 3/4-pounds carrots
- 1 medium apple
- 3/4 cup cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- Lemon juice to taste
- 1-ounce fresh coriander
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add finely chopped onion and crushed garlic. Fry gently for a minute then add grated ginger and curry powder.
- Fry until onion is soft.
- Add carrot and cored apple cut into medium pieces.
- Add vegetable stock, water, and cashews. Bring to the boil then cook covered under medium heat for about 25 minutes until carrots are tender.
- When done, add fresh coriander to soup. Blend together until smooth.
- Season to taste with lemon juice.
- Serve with your favorite gluten-free bread!