This flashy colorful slaw just may be your kid's favorite. With its tart flavor and satisfying crunch, it may turn your kid into such a die-hard cabbage lover. Let your kids do all the grating so they get the chance to work with these colorful veggies. Excerpted from THE ADVENTUROUS EATERS CLUB by Misha and Vicki Collins, reprinted with permission from HarperOne and imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. Copyright 2019.
Half Rainbow Slaw [Vegan]
- 1 cup grated raw beets
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 cup grated Granny Smith apple
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt to taste
- Raisins (optional)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Kid’s job! Grate, grate, and grate some more! Use the regular large grater holes to grate the carrots, beets, and apple. Use the gigantic slicer hole on the grater to grate the red cabbage.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Add salt.
- Serve each element separately with a little bowl of dressing on the side so kids can pick and choose which stripe in the rainbow to taste.
How about sprinkling something crunchy on top? How about salty roasted sunflower seeds? Crushed peanuts? Crushed corn chips? You decide. Recipe Photo Credit: Michèle M. Waite