Freezing the avocado filling first ensures perfectly shaped tots and makes frying a cinch. You can prepare the tots ahead of time and freeze them for later; they’ll keep for up to three months. They’re great to pull out for casual get-togethers - Be careful, though: Kids and adults both love them, and these tots go fast! We suggest tripling or even quadrupling this recipe if you’re serving a large crowd. Don’t say we didn’t warn you...
Guac Tots With Pico de Gallo [Vegan]
Pico de Gallo:
- 3/4 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup diced green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions (white and green parts)
- 1/4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and mashed
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus a pinch
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- Make the pico de gallo: In a small bowl, stir together the tomatoes, bell peppers, scallions, cilantro, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper.
- Make the tots: In a small bowl, mix together the avocado, lime juice, olive oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Portion out seven 2-tablespoon scoops of the avocado mixture onto the prepared baking sheet; freeze for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. To freeze the uncooked tots for up to 3 months, transfer the frozen tots to an airtight container or resealable bag.
- Fill a large pot with vegetable oil to a depth of about 3 inches. Heat the oil to 350°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the nutritional yeast, cornstarch, 3 tablespoons water, and a pinch of salt until smooth. Put the oats in a bowl.
- Using a toothpick, first dip the frozen tots in the cornstarch batter, then in the oats. Set aside on a plate and bread the remaining tots. Fry the tots until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel–lined plate before serving.
- Serve hot with the pico de gallo alongside.