This simple, fast, dairy-free gruyere cheese comes together in just 15 minutes. It's perfect for pasta, quiches, gratins — any dish that calls for a nutty, slightly sweet cheese! You can even enjoy it as a snack paired with crackers and a glass of Chardonnay or Sauvignon Blanc.
Gruyere Cheese [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons oats
- 1 teaspoon onion, minced or powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tahini sauce or paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- Combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour the ingredients into a small saucepan.
- Heat the cheese over medium heat, stirring the mixture constantly, until the cheese begins to thicken, about 5-7 minutes depending on the strength of your stove.
- Turn off the heat and continue to stir the cheese for another minute or two.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.
- After you allow the cheese to cool, either add it directly to a recipe or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Yields 1 cup.