In this recipe, soft white potatoes and meaty kidney beans, potatoes, and tomatoes are cooked in curry spices and then grilled between two slices of whole wheat bread. These sandwiches are easy to prepare and great for kids' lunch boxes. For a cheesy flavor, add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast just before grilling.
Grilled Rajma Masala Panini: Indian Curried Potato and Beans Panini [Vegan]
- 6 whole wheat bread slices
- 1/2 cup rajma/red kidney beans, soaked overnight in enough water
- 1/4 cup boiled potato cubes
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- A pinch of asofoetida/hing
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Pressure cook the kidney beans with enough water for 10 whistles over low-medium flame. Remove from the heat and allow the pressure to settle down. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a pan or kadai and temper the mustard seeds. Add chopped onions and sauté a while.
- Add chopped tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add ginger-garlic paste and stir well. Add the cooked kidney beans with the water. Give a stir. Add potato cubes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, asofoetida, and salt to taste. Mix well everything and add 1/2 cup water. Cook it, covered on low flame for 10 minutes, or until you get dry masala.
- To prepare grilled sandwich, take a bread slice. Spread 1 or 2 tablespoons of kidney bean masala mixture. Cover this with another bread slice. Place it in a sandwich maker, grill it, or just fry it on a skillet.
- Cut into slices and serve.