This recipe is brilliant because of its simplicity. You char the corn on the grill and while you're doing that, whip up the silky-smooth avocado crema and then slather that all over you piping hot grilled ears of corn. The result is the ultimate warm weather dish – what says summer time like corn, avocados, and a grill?
Grilled Corn With Avocado Crema [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 avocado, seeded and peeled
- 6 ounces soft silken tofu
- 1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 8 ears fresh corn, husks and silk removed
- Lime wedges
- Cilantro, chopped to garnish
- Combine the avocado, tofu, cilantro, sea salt, lime juice, and maple syrup in a blender, food processor, or immersion blender cup, and purée until smooth and creamy, stopping and scraping down the sides of the blending container with a rubber spatula as needed. Transfer the crema to a small bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Fill a large pot with water, bring the water to a boil, and then add the corn to the pot. When the water returns to a boil, cook the corn for 5 minutes.
- Remove the corn from the pot and shake off the excess water.
- Place the corn on the grill over direct heat. Turn the cobs of corn every minute or so, cooking them just long enough to char them slightly.
- Remove the corn from the grill and cool slightly before serving them with the crema.