This ooey-gooey, scoopable, rich, and delicious queso is made from of cashews, butternut squash, miso, and a few other easy-to-find ingredients. Butternut squash gives the queso a silky texture and the oh-so-queso-ey color. Not only is it a great dip, but it can also be used over baked potatoes, chili, tacos, and avocados!
Green Chili Cashew Queso [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Queso:
- 2 cups butternut squash (or carrots or sweet potatoes)
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked for at least an hour, drained
- 1/4 cup garlic cloves (about 8-10)
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 sliced jalapeño (red or green)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup canned or fresh and cooked hatch chili
For the Garnish:
- 1 jalapeño, sliced thin
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Drizzle of Sriracha
- In a small saucepan, add butternut squash, cashews, garlic, and 1 tablespoon salt. Add enough water to cover, then bring to a slow boil over medium-high heat until tender. Remove from heat to cool, then drain and add mixture to a high-speed blender.
- Add in remaining ingredients (except hatch chili) and blend for 3-4 minutes until wicked smooth, then add hatch chili and pulse for 5 seconds to incorporate and still leave it chunky.
- Serve with any of the garnish options as desired.