Simple and quick with just a 30 min rise, you’ll love making your own pita bread! Once you do, store-bought will never taste the same.
Greek Pita Bread [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 scant teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups room temperature water
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- When yeast has proofed, add to dry ingredients and mix just to just slightly combine.
- Add olive oil and mix until all ingredients are completely combined and a somewhat raggedy ball of dough forms.
- Turn ball out onto a floured surface and knead for approximately five minutes. You’ll feel the dough becoming more elastic and smooth as you work it.
- Return kneaded dough to a large bowl, cover with dishcloth and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Turn out onto floured surface, punch down the risen dough just slightly and cut into 8 equal pieces. A dough scraper works beautifully for this! Roll each piece into a small ball and set aside.
- With a floured rolling pin, roll out each of the balls of dough to desired size – ideally between 6 and 8′ in diameter.
- Heat a cast iron skillet, brush lightly with olive oil and cook pita one at a time for about 2 minutes per side. The bread should be just slightly browned – they will puff up a bit, that’s normal. Enjoy warm or cool and store, wrapped well.