Winter is known for starchy, heavy, and hearty root vegetables, so it’s easy to forget that winter is also the season of bright, juicy, punchy citrus. Even if you think grapefruit is too bitter, something happens when you combine it with oats. It just works. The result is refreshing, zingy, and pleasantly sweet.
Grapefruit Cardamom Oatmeal [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Grapefruit Cardamom Oatmeal [Vegan]
- 2/3 cup plant-based milk of choice
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel cut oats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 grapefruit
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon or more maple syrup (optional)
How to Prepare Grapefruit Cardamom Oatmeal [Vegan]
- Bring liquid to a boil, add oats and chia seeds, and reduce heat to a simmer. Stir occasionally.
- Cut grapefruit in half. Juice one half into the saucepan.
- With the other half, trace a knife along the membranes of each segment to loosen. Then use a grapefruit spoon (or just a regular spoon) to scoop out the segments. Add to oatmeal (if desired, save a couple segments for topping). Stir.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, cardamom, and salt. Taste. If too bitter, add maple syrup to taste.
- When you’re pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Enjoy as is, or top with whatever: nut butter, chocolate chips, coconut, nuts, etc.
You can top this recipe with chocolate peanut butter. The sweetness of the nut butter is a great way to balance out the earthy, slightly bitter grapefruit oatmeal.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.