This delicious pumpkin pie starts with a gingersnap cookie crust that's then topped with a smooth, creamy pumpkin pie filling that's spiced with pumpkin pie spice and cardamom for an extra layer of warmth. Top with coconut whipped cream for the ultimate dessert experience.
Gingersnap Pumpkin Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 6 ounces gluten-free and vegan gingersnap cookies
- 1 ounce melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons molasses or brown rice syrup
For the Filling:
- 1 can pumpkin purée
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons Grade B maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons coconut cream (or full-fat coconut milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste (or vanilla extract)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot flour/starch
- A pinch of sea salt
- Whipped coconut cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Grease a standard glass or ceramic pie plate with coconut oil and set it aside.
- Process the gingersnap cookies in a food processor or blender until they become fine crumbs. Add the remaining crust ingredients to the cookie crumbs and pulse them in until the mixture looks moist and starts clumping together a bit.
- Dump this mixture into your prepared pie plate and press it into an even crust layer on the bottom and up the sides with your fingers. Bake the crust for 10 minutes then remove it and set it aside to cool while you make the filling.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the filling in a food processor or blender and process until smooth and well mixed. Pour the filling mixture into your prepared gingersnap crust, then smooth out the top with a spatula.
- Bake the pie for 40 to 45 minutes until the center is firm (it will jiggle slightly but it should be firm). Remove the pie from the oven and cool it for 30 minutes before covering it and chilling it in the refrigerator at least 6 hours.