It is with so much joy I share with you today a delightful gingerbread cookie recipe. Not only are they soft, chewy, and delectable, they are VEGAN AND GLUTEN-FREE! I’ve been working really hard to come up with some recipes that don’t contain wheat and are vegan. I have to say I’m very happy with the way these cookies came out. The proportion of the spices that give the cookie warmth and luscious flavor, along with the soft texture of the cookie makes me so happy I could sing, AGAIN! :-) The gingerbread cookies taste what Christmas should taste like, and I’m certain you’ll be singing in no time too while you bake and enjoy these with your loved ones. Sending giant gingerbread hugs and smiles your way!
Soft, Chewy Gingerbread Cookies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together gluten-free flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and ginger. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat sunflower oil and sugar together for 2 minutes.
- To the oil/sugar mixture, add the molasses and almond milk. Continue to mix for 1 minute.
- Add the dry ingredients, about 1/3 at a time until stiff dough is formed.
- Make the dough into a disk shape, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Using a melon baller or about 1/2-3/4 tablespoon of dough, roll dough into balls of approximately equal size, and slightly flatten into a disk shape. Place onto the baking sheet spaced 2 inches apart.