If you're looking for a sweet and warm dessert? Look no further than this ginger slice! The walnuts add a wonderful texture to them and bring out the delicious flavor.
Ginger Walnut Slice [Vegan]
For the Base:
- 1 1/3 cup plain all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegan butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup vegan bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
For the Topping:
- 1 tablespoons vegan butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- If you’re a kid, ask your adult helper to assist you.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line an 18cm x 28cm deep baking dish with baking paper.
- Using a food processor, add all your base ingredients and pulse in short bursts until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs that are starting to stick together.
- Firmly press the mixture into your baking dish making sure that it’s level.
- Bake in the oven for 12-14 minutes, it will still be slightly soft but a light golden brown.
- Allow the base to cool for 10 mins in the baking dish.
- In a small saucepan melt your butter, golden sugar together and remove from heat.
- Add your icing sugar, ginger powder and grated ginger, and lemon juice and beat with a hand mixer together until it forms your icing.
- Immediately pour onto your base and spread out icing evenly.
- Sprinkle walnuts over the top and then gently push down into the icing.
- Allow to set in the fridge for 20 minutes before slicing into squares.