This General Tso's seitan is like getting delivery, without having to tip the delivery guy. It's tender and meaty on the inside and slightly crisp and saucy on the outside — just like it should be. Pair with some broccoli and brown rice and take a trip to Flavor Town!
General Tso’s Seitan [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- A sprinkle of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- Vegan chicken broth or water, as needed
- 6 tablespoons vegan egg replacer
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons Asian sauce
- Mix vital wheat gluten with 2 teaspoons onion powder, a sprinkle of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon poultry herbs, and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- Add 3 tablespoons tahini to a measuring cup. On top of the tahini add broth or water until it reaches the 1 1/4 cup mark.
- Mix together.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients/ Add more water to your dough if it feels too stiff. Knead dough for a minute.
- Divide dough in half. Pull one-half into small balls and the other half into wing shapes. These will double in size so make them small.
- Cover with water or broth. Boil for an hour. Once cooked lay them on a paper towel-lined cookie sheet to cool.
- Make vegan eggs as directed. Make sure the egg batter is on the thinner side. Add more water if needed.
- In a bowl, mix 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- Dip nuggets and wings into flour then vegan egg batter then back into flour mixture. Fry on high/medium-high until golden brown. Fry in small batches.
- Once cooked mix each piece with the sauce.