These cookies are unique and full of flavor! Made with squash puree, rolled oats, warming spices and chocolate chunks, they're a hearty and healthy cookie that makes for a great cold weather snack. Plus, they're simple to make!
Garam Masala Chocolate Oat Cookies [Vegan]
- 1 small pumpkin or butternut squash (2 cups puree needed)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond flour (or oat flour)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or jaggery
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour (or psyllium husk)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Peel and clean the pumpkin or butternut squash, remove the seeds and then cut into small 2-inch chunks. Place in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil on high heat, then reduce heat to medium-high and cover with a lid to steam until tender. You can also do this in your InstantPot or stovetop pressure cooker following their instructions for steaming. Once done, drain off the remaining water and place the soft squash into a large bowl. Mash with a fork to make a smooth puree. Set aside and allow to cool while preparing the dry ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. In large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Measure out 2 cups of the fresh squash puree, then fold it into the dry mixture. Mix in the maple syrup and oil next. Finish by folding in the chocolate chunks at the end. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to firm up the batter.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Take the batter from the fridge and use an ice cream scoop to measure out the cookies. Use two baking sheets to divide the batter between the pans, or repeat after the first tray is finished cooking to use the remaining batter. Use the palm of your hand to flatten the balls to ½-inch thick cookie.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and firm on the outsides but slightly soft on the insides. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy warm with a mug of tea or hot turmeric milk. Store in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days.