This robust raw Italian sauce perfectly blends heirloom tomatoes, cloves of garlic, basil, olive oil, salt, and pepper creating a heavenly pasta that is healthy and light. We like to use a mix of heirlooms since each kind brings different colors and flavors, and every time we make this dish, it is slightly different and always unique.
Fusilli With Heirloom Tomatoes [Vegan]
- 1 pound fusilli pasta
- 4 cups chopped heirloom tomatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 14 basil leaves (approximately)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the fusilli according to package directions until al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, set aside one cup of chopped tomatoes and 2 basil leaves for garnish. Place the remaining 3 cups of tomatoes in a food processor or blender, and also add the rest of the basil leaves, chopped garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Purée until smooth, and taste to adjust seasonings to your liking. Take the two reserved basil leaves and slice them into thin strips.
- When the pasta is done, drain it and return it to the pot. Add the tomato purée and toss to combine. To serve, top each bowl of pasta with some of the reserved chopped tomatoes and sliced basil. Serve hot, and enjoy!