Does anyone else hate making their lunch for work or school? Get ready for back to school season with these fruit-sweetened cardamom blueberry muffins! This little treat is sweetened with bananas only, making it a perfectly healthy breakfast or snack. They would be a great addition to any lunch box - For kids or adults! They also have a few possible substitutions for a gluten-free and nut-free version.
Fruit-Sweetened Cardamom Blueberry Muffins [Vegan]
- 1 3/4 cup overripe bananas, mashed (3-4 large)
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk of choice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 flax egg (or 2 additional tablespoons milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or light spelt)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease your muffin pan with oil or butter/margarine. You could use muffin liners instead if preferred.
- In a large bowl, mash your bananas. Whisk in your milk, oil, egg (if using) and vanilla.
- Add your dry ingredients, including the blueberries, to the wet mixture and mix all together.
- Transfer the mixture to your greased muffin pan, making 12 muffins. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let them cool a few minutes before removing from the pan.