These aren't anything like the dumplings you might get at a Chinese or Japanese restaurant. Instead, these dumplings are like giant, cloud-like meatballs filled with bread and spinach. Yum! Top them with nutty walnut "parmesan" and serve them alongside your favorite veggies.
Fluffy Spinach Dumplings With Walnut Parmesan [Vegan]
- 4 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup white bread slices
- 1 1/4 cup soy milk
- 3/4 cup spinach
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 big pinch of sea salt, pepper, nutmeg
- 1/4 bunch of parsley and chives
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- Put everything in a blender and pulse until well combined. Can be stored in the refrigerator for multiple weeks.
- Cut off the bread crust and cut the rest into cubes. Put into bowl and add the warmed milk. Cover and let it sit for about 30 minutes.
- Dice the onion, garlic and spinach. Heat up some oil in a pan and fry the onions until transparent, then add the garlic and spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted.
- Add the spinach, spices, herbs and flour to the soaked bread and mash until well combined.
- Fill a big pot with water and get it to a boil and add some salt. Shape the mixture into small dumplings and cook them for 15 minutes (I recommend you to take the time and cook one sample dumpling to make sure it doesn’t fall apart – if it does, add more flour).
- Remove from water and place on a plate. Melt the butter and drizzle it over the dumplings. Sprinkle generously with the walnut parmesan.