Inspired by Carrie No one’s going to laugh at you after they taste this twist on the classic combo of grilled cheese and tomato soup. The tomato soup is made using an Instant Pot for an extra rich flavor.
Flesh and Blood [Vegan]
Blood Bucket Soup
- 2 (13.5-ounce, or 400-ml) cans unsweetened coconut cream
- 2 (14.5-ounce, or 411-g) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (28-ounce, or 794-g) can tomato puree
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) water (swish it around the empty tomato puree can to rinse out the remaining puree, then add to the pot)
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper (to your heat preference)
- 1/2 teaspoon California lemon peel (or 1 tablespoon lemon zest)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 teaspoons agave syrup
- 3 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
- 6–8 drops natural red food coloring
Naan Flesh Grilled Cheese
- 2 vegan naans
- 1 teaspoon Vamp Paste (page 128)
- 2 slices vegan cheddar cheese
- 2 slices vegan pepper jack cheese
- To make the blood bucket soup: To an Instant Pot, add the coconut cream, stewed tomatoes, tomato puree, water, celery salt, cayenne, lemon peel, smoked paprika, rosemary, white pepper, garlic powder, agave, and liquid aminos. Stir together well, breaking up the tomatoes as much as possible.
- Cook on the Soup/Broth setting, releasing any pressure manually.
- When finished, stir in the food coloring until you achieve a very bloody color. Add 3/4 cup (180 ml) additional water if needed to thin.
- To make the naan flesh grilled cheese: Coat the outsides of the naan with the vamp paste. Place the cheese on the bread and press the naan together.
- Grill in a medium skillet over medium-low heat for 2 minutes per side, or until the bread is toasted and golden and the cheese is melting slightly. Remove from the heat, allow to cool for a few minutes, and then cut into quarters.
- Ladle the hot soup into bowls and serve with the grilled cheese.