If you are looking for an elegant appetizer or a light supper, these fishcake canapés are the perfect dish. The faux-fish cakes are dressed up with a delightful homemade tahini and served on a bed of greens. These delicious bites will stand out amongst the other appetizers.
‘Fishcake’ Canapés With Tahini [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Fishcake Canapé:
- 3 sheets sushi nori seaweed
- 7.75 ounces butter beans, canned
- 3.5 ounces boiled potatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Some black pepper
- 1/2 finely chopped onion
- 3 1/4 ounces gluten-free bread crumbs (a little extra for the garnish)
- Sunflower oil, to fry
For the Tahini:
- 4 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons tahini sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- Either fresh garlic or garlic powder to taste
- Boil the potatoes and then peel them.
- Drain a tin of butter beans and wash them well.
- To a smoothie blender, add the 3 sheets of sushi nori sheets and pulverize them.
- Once the potatoes are boiled, add them to a bowl with beans and mash them with a fork or other kitchen tool.
- Then transfer the mixture to a bowl and add the garlic, some black pepper, salt, finely chopped onion, the pulverized sushi nori, mixed herbs, and the bread crumbs to it and mix them together.
- Knead this until you get a dough-like consistency.
- Start forming the vegan fish cakes and make sure there are no cracks. Add some more breadcrumbs to a plate and coat each cake on all sides in more bread crumbs.
- Deep fry in sunflower oil for a few minutes until they get a golden brown color. Place on a plate lined with kitchen towel to absorb excess oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix all ingredients together until you get a smooth sauce.
- Make a mixed salad, place the vegan fish cakes on top, drizzle the tahini sauce on top and garnish with some chives or parsley.