This elegant flatbread is the perfect appetizer to serve at your summer social gatherings and it can also double as a light supper. The savory flatbread is cooked in a cast iron skillet and then topped with homemade ricotta, toasted walnuts, caramelized red onions, and finished off with a rich balsamic reduction.
Fig, Tofu Ricotta, and Caramelized Onion Flatbread [Vegan]
For the Flatbread:
- 1 packet (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon organic cane sugar
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons rosemary, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Ricotta:
- 1 14-ounce package firm tofu
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
For the Caramelized Red Onion
- 1 red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Glaze:
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
For the Toppings:
- Vegan ricotta (see above)
- Caramelized red onion (see above)
- 1 pint black mission figs
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- Balsamic glaze (see above)
To Make the Flatbread:
- Start by making the flatbread. In a small bowl, whisk together the yeast, sugar, and water. Set this aside for 10 minutes or until the yeast is foamy and activated.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, garlic, rosemary, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- When the yeast is activated, add it to the dry ingredients with the olive oil. Use an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook to mix the dough for about 5 minutes or until a smooth, elastic dough forms. If you don't have a mixer, knead the dough by hand for about 10 minutes. Then, form the dough into a ball.
- Grease a bowl with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and coat the dough with it.
- Set the dough in the bowl and cover with a damp towel or plastic. Leave it to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, when the dough is doubled in size, cut the dough into 3 even pieces. Let the separated pieces of dough rest, covered with a damp towel, on a clean countertop for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into flat (1/8-inch thick) circles.
- Coat the bottom of a skillet with olive oil (about 1 tablespoon).
- Transfer the rolled out dough into the pan and cook it for 1-2 minutes on low-medium heat. Once the bottom is cooked and lightly golden, flip and cook the other side of the flatbread.
To Make the Ricotta:
- Make the vegan ricotta while the dough is rising. Drain the tofu and place it in a large bowl with the garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and herbs.
- Use a masher or a fork to crumble the tofu and combine the ingredients.
- Cover this and refrigerate it until you're ready to use it.
To Make the Onions:
- To caramelize the red onions, cut the onion into thin slices.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions, sugar, and salt; stir the mixture to coat everything.
- Stir the onions every 5-10 minutes until they are dark and caramelized. This will take a total of 30-40 minutes.
To Make the Glaze:
- Make the balsamic glaze by heating 1 cup balsamic vinegar in a skillet over medium heat.
- Reduce the vinegar halfway down until it is thick enough to coat a spoon (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in the maple syrup and set the glaze aside until you're ready to use it.
- Once the flatbread is cooked and your toppings are prepared, top it with vegan ricotta, caramelized red onion, figs, arugula, toasted walnuts, and a drizzle of the balsamic glaze.